Friday, May 25, 2007

Same Stream, Different Horse

"Never change horses in midstream." ~Abraham Lincoln

Wow! We got a new trailer and I won't be taking my teardrop after all. Luckily I changed horses before I started on the trip.

I've been thinking hard about the logistics of this trip. Teardrops are great for camping in the woods, because if you've got to pee in the middle of the night, you're already in the woods. That's not too practical for city camping: parking in front of friends' houses or in brewery parking lots. I'm depending on the kindness of strangers (all future friends), but their kindness may stop short of handing me the keys so I can relieve myself at 1:00 am, and again at 4:00 am.

This little guy is only 1 foot 9 inches longer than our teardrop, but it has so many features that make it the ideal portable hotel room for city camping: A toilet, a 2-burner gas stove, a fridge (no more buying ice every other day, plus the mayonnaise jar gets to keep its label on), an indoor table that turns into a bed, and a fold-down bunk above that. It sleeps four people if two of them are children. We pick it up tonight.

It's called a Fun Finder X139. It comes with an awning, CD/DVD player, clock, microwave and gas BBQ grill. It has more storage than the teardrop, and weighs more, but in such a small package it has more than I need, but everything I want (like a toilet and a hot cup of tea). I'll still need access to hot showers, so I'm hoping my hosts will share theirs. We named it "Big Buddy." (As opposed to "Little Buddy," our teardrop camper.)

I still plan to leave in about a week... see you soon!

No comments: