Friday, June 8, 2007

Pink Boots at Sierra Nevada


"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." ~Mark Jenkins

June 8: Sierra Nevada has a few tanks bigger than this one. Chris Barlow, Scott Jennings, and I spent most of the day in the pilot brewery. It's a neat 10-barrel system, exquisitely designed to exactly mimic their 200-barrel system. Exact may be too exact a word, but by golly they get it close. Scott runs the pilot plant, and Chris normally works on either the 100-barrel or the 200-barrel system, but they tag-teamed on four back-to-back Celebration batches today. Scott came in at 4:00 am. I didn't.

After a nice lunch in their pub, I followed Terrence Sullivan and Jim Mellem around for most of the rest of the day. It takes that long to see everything (and ask a million questions) because the place is pretty huge. They have lots of nifty lab equipment and I think Jim knows how to work all of it. Gil Sanchez and I swapped tales about MBAA, mountain climing (him), rock climbing (me), Leinenkugels, and Milwaukee where Gil worked for Miller for 20 years. (I drank lots of Leinies and Miller while attending college in Wisconsin). Then Steve Dressler topped off my day by gifting me two cases of Sierra Nevada beer. Life is good!

No comments: